Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sports

I've been watching a lot of the Little League World Series recently (the house I currently live in doesn't have cable, so the majority of the sports I watch are on ESPN3 through our XBox 360).  As I watched, it made me think about my own youth sports experience and how many random memories I have...

I remember making a stretch play at first base on a ground ball back to the pitcher on the first baseball team I ever played on.

I remember making my scoring my first two points on the first basketball team I played on, and having my dad tell me afterward that I shouldn't throw my hands up in the air after I score.

I remember wanting to play center my first year of organized football, because that's what my dad played.

I remember swatting the bejesus out of a friend's shot in a basketball game, getting called for a foul, and then literally laughing on the court with my friend.

I remember hitting a single and scoring a run in a championship game in baseball (it was probably my second or third hit all year).

I remember losing a semifinal game in basketball my second year, in which we nearly came back and lost by 2.  I remember going to bed, then going to my parents crying because I was afraid I would never win a championship in anything.  I think I was 8 or 9 at the time.

I remember winning a championship in basketball the next year, and my coach calling me the "Shaquille O'Neal" of the league as he handed me my trophy.

I remember getting licked while practicing on side kicks by one of the hardest hitting kids on my team.  Then laughing about it with the coaches and the kid.

I remember making a snap tag on a throw up the line the last year I played baseball.  I also remember another mother commending me for being so positive and encouraging.

I remember a basketball practice in 5th grade where we were all so out of control that we eventually had a dog pile at half court, and feeling bad because the coach couldn't stop us.

I remember leaving a middle school dance early so I could go to bed, then losing to one of my best friend's team in basketball the next day.

I remember throwing a ball from deep right field all the way to the plate to save a kid from getting a home run in the last inning.  We lost anyways.

I remember finding out that I would get to play tight end in 8th grade, and being pretty pumped.

I remember when my 7th grade basketball team scored 75 points in a 32 minute game, and contributing 16. 

I remember making a sliding one handed grab in one of our first football games, and the ref calling it incomplete (it wasn't).

I remember getting fouled at the end of a close game in 8th grade when we were down by one.  I remember looking at the crowd, then at the bench in a panic.  Then I remember looking at my friend underneath the basket pointing at me and laughing.  I made both free throws and we won.  He later told me he was just glad it wasn't him.

I remember getting my first and only interception on a screen pass that I read.  I remember running towards the end zone with no one in front of me, then getting caught by the fastest player on the other team after about 15 yards (maybe).

I remember getting a clean line to the quarterback late in a close game.  I remember hitting him, and then apparently I got up and danced.  I got yelled at, but I literally don't remember dancing, just hitting him and getting yelled at.

I could go on and on, through all my phenomenal memories of high school basketball, to pick up football and sandlot baseball.  And as you may know, I love sports.  I was the kid who would wake up and watch Sportscenter twice through.  I love the Baltimore Ravens and the Orioles, Georgetown and Temple basketball, and just watching the games in general.  Hopefully, some day, my life and career will incorporate sports in some way.  But I hope I never lose all those memories, and I'm glad those kids at the Little League World Series helped remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment